The Song Of The Week is Circle Of Life / Nants' Ingonyama by Lindiwe Mkhize and Lebo M.
Indiho reader Court Clark took exception, yesterday, to my claim that some of Ingrid Michaelson's new songs were bangers. "It seems like you don’t understand the meaning of the word 'banger' when referring to music," he wrote. Of course, as we all know, the word 'banger' ceased to really mean anything specific about three years ago, but I think if there's one thing we can all agree on it's that Circle Of Life is an absolute banger for the ages. Jon Favreau gets a production credit on this new version. Well done Jon!
- The David Guetta and Martin Solveig single has almost certainly been ruined by, well, David Guetta and Martin Solveig. The writing credits suggest Alex Hope, Noonie Bao and Sasha Sloan — three women entirely capable of making a song on their own — actually wrote the song (it sounds like the uncredited vocalist is Sasha). All of which leads to one simple demand: RELEASE THE ORIGINAL VERSION.
- The Ina Wroldsen/Syco experiment seemed to have hit a bit of a wall but Forgive Or Forget is a smash-in-waiting.
- Considering how record-breaking their record-breaking run of hits was, Girls Aloud have so far had a fairly minor influence on what pop sounds like today, but Call Me Loop's pulling some Aloud moves with exuberant wankbanger Self Love, which also nods in the direction of Little Mix's Move but exists as a rather excellent pop moment in its own right, too.
- The K.Flay album's out today. Play it from beginning to end please, it's very good.
- Sofi Tukker's Swing is 'quite something'.
- The new Justin Bieber version of Billie Eilish's bad guy almost works…
- Sigma are really running on fumes at this point.